Facebook user Lauren Woods has shared her horror story online after being hospitalised three times for using home hair dye from a box. Lauren posted a photograph of a Clairol Nice ‘n Easy hair dye box, apparently on Superdrug, alongside several photographs of her swollen head and puffy eyes. Lauren claims she carried out the recommended patch test and waited the full 24 hours before applying the hair dye, and she didn't have any adverse reactions. When she applied the dye on Thursday February 8th, she also felt fine but by Saturday of that week Lauren realised in the shower that her scalp had become burnt and her forehead had started to swell.
She quickly rushed into hospital in Hastings, East Sussex and sent back with steroid and allergy tablets and told to wait for the swelling to go down. After that, in her own words, she "went home, went to bed, then woke up Sunday morning unable to open my eyes. So I went to the walk-in centre, to which she told me I had to go straight to A&E and I’ve been here ever since. Dying my hair is definitely not worth the amount of pain I’ve been in. I don’t want anyone to have to go through what I’ve had to go through these last few days so please can you share and raise awareness that this isn’t just something you see in the papers."
A patch test is advised to be kept on for 48 hours on Clairol's website, and a Clairol spokesman said: "The safety of the people who use our products is our first and most important priority, so we’re very concerned to hear about Ms Woods’ experience. Allergic reactions are very rare and hair colourants are extensively researched to ensure they are safe when used as directed."