Doctors were left horrified when they discovered the cause of a young man’s problems. It turned out he had a particularly long tape worm living inside his rectum. How long?
1.8m, or around 71 inches or 180cm or 5ft 9inches or way-too-God-damned-long. The worm, which can be seen below, had to be coiled 18 times just to fit into a single photo. Thankfully the young man didn’t experience the crippling abdominal pain that is usually associated with tapeworms. And he’s also quite lucky that he avoided any potentially fatal consequences which, yes, can sometimes happen because of tapeworm infections (just in case pulling the below out of your ass wasn’t bad enough).
Doctors believe that the man contracted the tapeworm from eating sushi, a habit that has become increasingly widespread in Singapore. In fact doctors report that as more and more people eat sushi the incidence of tapeworms has rapidly increased.
Tapeworms can also be transferred to humans by eating under cooked beef, cured or uncooked meat such as ham and parmesan, or undercooked fish. Because sushi involves eating raw fish it is a perfect vector for the transfer of tapeworm eggs.
Once consumed the eggs will settle in the human intestine and feed on passing debris (*cough*poo*cough*) over a period of multiple weeks. Eventually, they can even grow to a whopping 15m. The worm, if left untreated, can live for years and will reproduce causing the infection to gradually worsen over time.
Last week the internet was shocked by a similar story when a man passed a 5-foot long worm but admittedly, this Singaporean man wins the battle of the ass-worms because his was 5ft 9.
For those curious, the longest tapeworm ever found in a human was 82 feet or a whopping 25 metres long which… uh…