Nick Mitchell, a 56-year-old father of three, suffered a brain haemorrhage and nearly died after a caffeine overdose. Nick was running a karaoke evening in a hot pub in West Yorkshire and drank 25 cans of Red Bull and Monster over the course of six hours, which seems like a bad idea but I'm not a doctor so I'm all ears to see how this story unfolds - oh wait. Yeah it was a bad idea.
Nick had three whole mini-strokes and a bleed on the brain after getting home from his karaoke night and having massive head pain. He was rushed to nearby Dewsbury Hospital where doctors confirmed that yes, his chugging of energy drinks had actually nearly straight up killed him. The incident happened eight years ago but Nick has finally decided to go to the press because he wants to make sure more people know about the dangers associated with energy drinks. Nick still has trouble speaking and pronouncing words after his mini-strokes: "These drinks nearly killed me. I was so close to death and thought I might not make it through surgery. They should not be sold. They are as bad as drugs and should be banned."
Nick ingested so much caffeine from the drinks that he went over the daily recommended amount of caffeine intake within an hour of starting the cans. A Red Bull spokesman said: "One 250ml can of Red Bull contains 80mg of caffeine, about the same as a cup of home-brewed coffee. The European Food Safety Authority has stated that caffeine intake of up to 400mg per day (five 250 ml cans or five cups of coffee) does not raise safety concerns for the general healthy adult population.". So use your discretion, I guess?