A British grandfather was rushed to hospital when his testicle exploded “like a volcano” after he caught a rare form of salmonella when on holiday in Tunisia.
Food poisoning can be a terrible thing. Most of us know food poisoning as the thing that happens when you eat a dodgy kebab and end up pooping something with the consistency of mushroom soup for 48 hours. If it’s really bad you’ll get crippling stomach pain, you’ll be sh*tting every thirty minutes, and your head will feel like someone has wrapped your skull in a vice and is jumping up and down on the handle. And, if it’s really really bad you can freakin’ die. Just flat out die. Food poisoning, and salmonella (which, weirdly enough, you get from chicken and not salmon) is one of the most deadly diseases in the Western world and it regularly kills thousands in the US and UK.
But it turns out there’s another thing salmonella can do.
It. Can. Make. Your. Balls. Explode.
Man's testicles swell up and explode like a volcano after taking a tour in Tunisia— Simarilian (@simarilian) January 8, 2018
Grandad's testicle 'exploded' after contracting African salmonella on dream holiday to Tunisia https://t.co/NxTaw0upVI
Just ask David Worsley who contracted a phenomenally rare strain of the disease while on holiday in Tunisia after eating at a restaurant. After returning to the UK David continued to experience agonising symptoms for three weeks until he woke up one day to extreme pain in his testicle. It had swollen to a whopping 8cm in size!!
David had his wife phone an ambulance where doctors were astonished at what they found.
"The doctor told me she had never seen anything like it in her 20 year career," David said. And we’re not surprised. Grapefruit sized testicles are pretty rare in the natural world.
But wait, it gets much much worse.
After spending ten days in hospital David was finally sent home with antibiotics despite his symptoms remaining pretty bad. On the first day David went home he took a bath and… well, we’ll let him explain…
“Despite this I was sent home again. I got in the bath and it just exploded. It literally went bang and that was it. When the doctor saw it later she said that it was like a volcano exploding. It was leaking so much that I had to get one of my grandchildren’s nappies and put it around it to stop the flow.”
The good news is that David has made a recovery and while he’s pretty down about losing a testicle we’d like to remind him that “dying” was on the table for a while there, and he should always be thankful that he’s survived… well, mostly intact. But how would you guys cope? Do you feel a bit more cautious about travelling abroad? Will you never holiday in Tunisia? Will you now rethink testicular pain? Will you ever be able to eat jalapeno poppers again!? Let us know in the comments below!