A man from Queensland has caused serious damage to his home and himself after attempting to clear out cockroaches from his house by using a can of bug spray as an improvised flamethrower. However, the aerosol can exploded and left the man with serious burns over his hands and head. The fiery combustion also blew the door off his home, smashed the windows, and even blew holes straight through the walls.
Emergency services were called to the man’s home at around 8pm on Wednesday where he was treated for mild burns and some lacerations on his head caused by flying shrapnel. Afterwards, police and medical staff found out the incident had been caused by his attempt to clear his home of cockroaches by first using a can of bug spray as a flamethrower, and then actually lighting the can on fire.
As a consequence of the damage the house has now been rendered unliveable, which is unfortunate news for the people sharing the house with the man in question. Meanwhile police have condemned the man’s poor choices, saying,
“The instructions are put on these things for a purpose and if failure to follow them can result in as it did in this case extreme damage to the property.
“My understanding is the other people in the house were in their bedrooms at the time. It didn't travel very far, but it was a very vicious explosion in the area where it was.”
Neighbours in the area described the explosion as “vicious”. One woman said she felt the vibrations reverberate through her house, while another woman said her children ran for cover after hearing the sound, fearing that it may have been a threat to their lives.
Australian man blows up home trying to kill cockroach KSATnews https://t.co/wGzw4TxFtg— San Antonio Now (@SanAntonioCP) 8 March 2018
Earlier this year a man from California gained attention after he lit his flat on fire using an aerosol and an ignition source. He used the DIY flamethrower in a desperate bid to get rid of a wolf spider but the arachnid, once on fire, decided to get revenge by running onto the man’s drapes which soon became alight. By the time the fire brigade arrived the flat had been burned to the point where it was unliveable, and the man responsible narrowly avoided charges for reckless behaviour.