The tide pod challenge that rose up last year was, well, profoundly stupid. Lots of people were hospitalised as teenagers and even some adults were caught up in a bizarre trend where they tried chewing on a tide pod. Unfortunately, tide pods are made with chemicals that are designed to break down protein (which you are made of) and are only really safe to touch because of your skin’s protective layers.
Protective layers your mouth doesn’t have.
One incident saw a young man hospitalised, minutes from death, when he choked on the tide pod’s powder and inhaled a small amount of the detergent. The powder, once in his lungs, began to eat away at the fleshy tissue and burned a hole in his oesophagus. By the time he arrived at the hospital he had already stopped breathing for a few minutes and if it wasn’t for some quick thinking on his mother’s behalf he would have died.
Despite this, people kept doing the challenge forcing many supermarkets to lock their tide pods away while the rest of normal society shook their head at those responsible with enormous disappointment and shame.
And somehow, it’s about to get worse.
Say hello to the Hot Coil challenge. Something that requires you to hold your arm pressed against a searing hot cooking hob (hence the name). There’s no real way to justify why anyone would be this God damned stupid but hey, here they are, pressing their skin against a piece of metal that is hundreds of degrees in temperature.
If it’s any consolation, some of the comments from other users is pretty damn funny. Here’s a good sample,
“Well, that was fucking stupid.”
“That shit's getting infected, no doubt about it.”
“I'll stick to my Tide pods. Thanks.”
“No, this is fucking brilliant. We get the idiots to brand themselves for easy identification.”
“Darwinism at its finest.”
“Natural selection taking its course.”
And of course, my all-time favourite,
“Can't believe someone actually fed and clothed and gave shelter to this man all through his childhood and this is how he repays them. His mother and father must be very disappointed.”
Too true random internet users. Someone gave birth to this guy, fed and cared for him for close to two decades, and what they wound up with was an adult man giving himself third degree burns for fifteen minutes of internet fame.