Dog biscuits have been found laced with nails in a UK park by a concerned dog walker. Adrian Hitchmough was taking his two dogs for a walk in Pickering Pasture in Widnes, Cheshire when his dogs pulled away from the lead and tried to gobble down the treats. Tia and Skye, the two Alaskan malamutes, wanted to investigate the treats and luckily Adrian thought to check the goodies knestled in the grass before letting the dogs chow down, because there were nails embedded in them in an attempt to harm the dogs. Each biscuit had three nails pushed through and could have been deadly for any passing by animals, so authorities have praised Adrian's lucky discovery for potentially saving some doggie lives.
Adrian’s mother Susan said it could have had ‘catastrophic’ consequences for the dogs and spoke to the Liverpool Echo to warn people about the dangerous finding: "We are disgusted. We go down to that park on dog walks all the time but we won’t go there again. My son took the dogs for a walk this morning and they were on the lead. ‘The dogs went over to get these biscuits after smelling them but Adrian pulled them back. He brought the dogs straight back home with these and I phoned my husband to tell him what had happened. There are lots of dog walkers that go there and I’d just like to warn them about this." Attacking dogs by using poisoned food is shockingly common, just last month a woman in Doncaster lost her pet Jack Russell after someone threw meat laced with paracetamol tablets into her garden. Poor Bailey ran up to the dish and guzzled it down before Vicki Johnson, the owner, could even get outside and he died from poisoning just hours after eating.
A spokeswoman for the RSPCA has urged dog walkers to stay vigilant for attacks like these, and has expressed her concern at the cruel crime. "It is very fortunate that Mr Hitchmough found these biscuits when he did, thankfully no animal will suffer the effects of ingesting them. Dogs are naturally very curious animals and are likely to be drawn to any food on the floor. We urge dog-walkers to be cautious when walking in the area and to keep a close eye on their dogs while out walking. If you believe your dog has ingested something harmful, contact your vet immediately and follow any advice that they give you. If anyone has any information about who placed these dog biscuits, you can contact the RSPCA in complete confidence on 0300 1234 999."