Ant McPartlin pled guilty this morning to drink driving offences and was handed a £86,000 fine and a 20-month driving ban. During the sentencing he told the courts he was “thankful no one was hurt”.
“I let myself down, I let a lot of people down. For that I'm truly sorry,” he said to the press outside Wimbledon Magistrates' Court.
Simon Cowell praises Ant McPartlin for ‘manning up’ and he’s welcome back to Britain’s Got Talent https://t.co/MS65jtce62— Metro (@MetroUK) April 14, 2018
This comes after Ant was arrested following a three-car collision on the 18th March when his car struck another vehicle with two adults and a child. The three-year-old girl was rushed to the hospital at the time but it was later revealed that no one had actually suffered any injuries. The father of the girl was present today and told reporters that his wife “could have died as a result of Mr McPartlin's reckless driving.”
Another driver involved said that McPartlin’s car flew around a corner “like a rocket”. At the time Ant McPartlin was driving with his mother in the passenger seat and was on his way to a shop. After the accident he was breathalysed by police who found he had a blood alcohol limit of 75 microgrammes. The legal limit is 35 microgrammes and means that Ant was twice over the legal limit.
Since then Ant has said that he will be taking a break from his work as a TV presenter and will instead attend rehab. This left his life-long TV presenting partner Dec to present the show Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway on his own, marking the first time in broadcast history one of the duo appeared without the other. Despite the difficulties Dec’s performance was praised by fans of the show.
TV presenter Ant McPartlin pleads guilty to drink driving after car crash in London in March https://t.co/4y5MDQXXeF— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) April 16, 2018
In court McPartlin appeared very contrite and remorseful as he explained that he was “ashamed and mortified” and “accepts full responsibility” for his behaviour.
“Anthony McPartlin is sorry and is doing everything he can to ensure this never happens again,” said Mr Walker who is currently representing Ant McPartlin in Court.
“He hopes that in time he can make himself better and that he might be forgiven by all of the many people he knows and he feels he has let down terribly.”
Meanwhile Ant issued a different statement to the police saying: “I accept full culpability for this and wish to apologise to all those concerned.”