American rock icon Tom Petty died of an accidental overdose, with multiple drugs found in his system, according to the medical examiner's report released Friday.
The frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers suffered a heart attack at the age of 66 in his home on October 3rd from a deadly cocktail of prescription opioids, a victim of a growing epidemic in the US.
The offices autopsy report explains that the cardiac arrest was due to ‘mixed drug toxicity’. He had a mixture of fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprozolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl, and despropionyl fentanyl in his system, according to the LA County medical examiner.
Perry’s family took to Facebook to explain the report, confessing that the rocker was taking multiple medications for his “many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip."
"Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury. On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication."
The tragic accident has spurred further conversation about the cultural overuse of drugs in America, often referred to as the ‘Opioid Crisis’. Prince also died of a fentanyl overdose in 2016 after self medication and misunderstanding how impossibly strong and deadly the medications can be.