It’s amazing how appropriate the above picture is.
A Michigan man has been rushed to hospital with first degree burns on his face, along with singed hair and no more eyebrows, after a fire on his block started about a foot and a half away from his face. The man started the fire after smelling gas and going to look for it. He had recently installed a natural gas water heater and thought it might be the source of the smell. The only real problem is that he went looking for it with a lit match.
For the most part this man has gotten away very lightly. Yes third degree burns all over your face combined with a few weeks without eyebrows, eye lashes and whiskers, must suck. But most people who walk into a gas leak with a lit match would be lucky if they still had fingers. And again, we would like to reiterate how astoundingly dangerous his actions were, and how astoundingly lucky he is to still have lips and eyelids.
First responders also described how the fire had caused severe but localised damage to the man’s house, and took them an hour and a half to put out. They also had this to say on the matter of gas leaks,
“[if you smell gas] the best thing to do is call 911, especially if it’s inside a structure.”
This is good, sound, advice. If you ever suspect a gas leak call the authorities and don’t go looking for it. And definitely, definitely, do not go looking for it with a lit match.
What do you think? Was this man lucky? Stupid? Or wildly irresponsible? (Don’t forget, fires can spread). Or do you think he got the right amount of punishment via singed eyebrows and a sore face? Let us know in the comments below!